Book a Property Valuation
News September 16, 2021
     

Gas Safety Week - Have you had your gas boiler serviced?

Are your gas appliances and boiler safe? When was the last time you had your gas boiler or fire serviced?

 

It’s Gas Safety Week this week, highlighting the need to ensure residential gas systems are working correctly and not a danger to you, your family or home from Carbon Monoxide poisoning or even gas leaks.

 

Here at Morris, Marshall and Poole with Norman Lloyd we’re supporting Gas Safety Week, urging our customers old and new to ensure they have had their gas boilers checked, as well as fires, cookers and other appliances.

Have your gas boiler regularly serviced by a registered engineer

“It’s vitally important to have your gas boiler or fire checked regularly. Failure to do this can result in serious injury or even death because of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Other appliances, such as cookers, should also be checked regularly as poor fittings or wear and tear can result in faults and leaks,” said Andrew Turner, a Partner at MMP/NL.

 

Here are some top tips issued by Gas Safe Register about ensuring your gas boiler, fire and appliances are safe:

 

  • Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix and service your appliances. You can find and check an engineer at GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
  • Check both sides of your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing. You can find this information on the back of the card.
  • Have all your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year. If you rent your home ask for a copy of the landlord’s current Gas Safety Record.
  • Know the six signs of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness. Unsafe gas appliances can put you at risk of CO poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions.
  • Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
  • Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
  • Keep vents and chimneys clear. Make sure you don't block any vents, as they are vital to ensure gas appliances burn properly, and chimneys need to be cleaned and checked regularly. 
  • Use gas appliances only for their intended purpose. Don't be tempted to use them for something they weren't meant for (e.g using a gas cooker to heat a room).
  • Know the emergency procedure. If you smell gas or suspect immediate danger, make sure you familiarise yourself with the emergency procedure and contact the relevant number for your UK region.
  • Spread the word. Share vital gas safety information with friends, family and neighbours to make sure your community stays safe.

 

Buying and selling your home over Christmas

Found your perfect home but want to make it better?

Ten ‘Rent to Own’ homes near completion in Presteigne

Gas Safety Week - Have you had your gas boiler serviced?

Contact Us

Aberystwyth 01970 625020
Llanidloes 01686 412567
Associated London Office 0203 368 3986
Machynlleth 01654 702472
Newtown 01686 626160
Oswestry 01691 679595
Rhayader 01597 739994
Tywyn 01654 710388
Welshpool 01938 554818
Rural Department 01938 552371

About Us

Our residential, commercial and rural property teams are based at 10 offices in, Aberystwyth, Llanidloes, Machynlleth, Newtown,  Oswestry, Rhayader, Tywyn, Welshpool. Window display in Aberdyfi.

2019 © Morris Marshall & Poole | Registered in: England & Wales | Registered Address: Morris Marshall & Poole with Norman Lloyd, 28 Broad Street, Welshpool, SY21 7RW. | VAT Number: 159234749
All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Complaints Proceedure | RICS Client Money Protection Scxheme Rules | RICS Client Money Protection Certificate | Referral Fees